- The Board of Governors, in seeking to affirm the all ability nature of the College, will ensure that each year group caters for pupils of all abilities, including the most academically able. Grammar Stream Entry is available for a maximum of 35% of the intake. Parents of academically able children may opt for Grammar Entry and should indicate this on the green transfer form, including appropriate supporting evidence. The College will strive for Religious balance both within the Grammar Entry and the overall admissions number. If the number of applicants for Grammar Entry exceeds the number of places available the criteria listed below will be used to determine a rank order of applicants for criterion 1. Academic evidence is simply an indicator of the student’s suitability for the Grammar Pathway and is not used for differentiating between, or rank ordering applicants for Grammar Streamentry. Those applying for grammar entry and who are not admitted under criterion 1, will automatically be considered for admission, with all other applicants, using the remaining criteria, 2 – 7.
- Children who have a brother/sister or foster child placed within their family who is currently enrolled in the College or who attended the school.*
- Children whose parent/guardian has indicated a first or second preference for Sperrin Integrated College.
- Children who are transferring from any Integrated Primary School either Grant Maintained Integrated or Controlled Integrated.
- Children who are the eldest in the family, eligible to enter second level education, since the college opened in September 2002 or in the case of a family recently arrived in the catchment area the first to reach transfer age since arrival.
- As a final decider pupils will be admitted according to date of birth with preference to the eldest child.
- In the event of two children with the same date of birth the alphabetic sort printed below will be applied.
MAC C I J H O Q N P B E L D Z W M A K G U MC T S X V R Y F
The order was determined by a randomised selection of letters.
In the event of surnames beginning with the same initial letter the subsequent letters of the surnames will be used in alphabetical order. In the event of 2 identical surnames the alphabetical order of the initials of the forenames will be used.
- The religious affiliation of a student will be decided by the religious affiliation noted on or attached to the Transfer Form. If the religious affiliation of a student has not been provided the Governors reserve the right to seek verification before allocating the child to a category as follows:
- The Governors will seek to determine the affiliation firstly by consultation with the student’s primary school.
- In the event that this does not determine the affiliation the student will be classified according to the type of primary school attended, if it is controlled or maintained.
- Where no religious affiliation can be determined the student will be placed in the ‘Other’ category.
In the event that Sperrin Integrated College is oversubscribed, we write to parents who wish their child(ren) to be considered for a place in Sperrin Integrated College, should a place become available for any reason. In the event that a place does become available the above Admissions Criteria will be applied to those applicants who are placed on our Waiting List.
*Sibling is defined as a brother/sister or foster child within their family who is currently enrolled in the College or who attended the College through years 8 to 12 or at Sixth Form level. The term brother/sister includes Step or half brother or sister. Brothers or sisters may only be admitted under this criterion if they reside at the same address.
ADMISSIONS TO YEAR 8 AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 2018:
Parents who wish to have their child considered for admission in the event of a place arising after 1 September 2017 should write to the Principal clearly stating this. In the event of a vacancy arising the above criteria will be applied to these applications.